By Scott Gilfoid: Former heavyweight world champion Mike Tyson says he likes the current IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (25-0, 18 KOs) in part because he was named after him. Tyson, 49, follows Fury’s fights, and he was impressed with his recent victory over 40-year-old Wladimir Klitschko last November in Dusseldorf, Germany.
Tyson notes that Wladimir had been champion for many years until Fury came along and beat him. Tyson hears how some people call the 27-year-old Fury a bum, but he still likes him because he showed that he could beat the best heavyweight of current era in Wladimir.
Fury will be facing Wladimir in a rematch on July 9 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Former IBF/WBA/WBO welterweight champion Antonio Margarito (39-8, 27 KOs) could be facing junior middleweight Ramon Alvarez (23-4-2, 15 KOs) on July 16 or 30, according to ESPN.com. mx. If the 38-year-old Margarito defeats Alvarez, which would be very likely given the flaws in his game, then Margarito could wind up facing Ramon’s younger brother Saul “Canelo” Alvarez later on in 2016 in a revenge of the brother type of fights.
You have to wonder if this is something that has been planned out by Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya because a fight between Canelo and Margarito is just as much of a circus-like mismatch as the recent Amir Khan vs. Canelo fight that took place earlier this month on May 7 on HBO PPV. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: This Saturday’s fight between Shane Mosley (49-9-1 41 KOs) and interim WBA welterweight champion David Avanesyan (21-1-1, 11 KOs) will be facing the winner of the Keith Thurman vs. Shawn Porter fight, according to the World Boxing Association. That’s good for the Mosley- Avanesyan winner and potentially a good thing for the Porter vs. Thurman winner if they’re looking for a lesser threat.
That’s not a knock on Mosley and Avanesyan, but neither of them look like solid fighters compared to some of the other top guys in the division. It’s a perfect situation for the Thurman-Porter winner because they’ll wind up with an opponent that will be little more than a stay busy fight for them rather than someone that has the talent to defeat them. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Just one month after a disappointing 12 round unanimous decision to IBF super featherweight champion Jose Pedraza on April 16, #12 IBF Stephen Smith (23-2, 13 KOs) will be in action this Sunday night against 2nd tier fighter Daniel Brizuela (28-5-2, 8 KOs) in a scheduled 10 round fight on the undercard of the Tony Bellew vs. Ilunga Makabu fight card at Goodison Park in Liverpool, UK.
Smith, 30, says he wants another world title shot as soon as possible. However, if Smith is going to be fighting for another world title soon, I would hope that he would actually earn it by fighting a better class of opponent than the 30-year-old Brizuela, who is coming off a loss to Mauricio Javier Munoz in his last fight in June of 2015. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Last Saturda’s fight between WBA junior middleweight champion Erislandy Lara (23-2-2, 13 KOs) and #15 WBA challenger Vanes Martirosyan (36-3-1, 21 KOs) averaged just 491,000 viewers with a peak of 545,000 viewers, according to the Nielsen Media Research.
The Lara-Martirosyan fight was televised by Showtime Championship Boxing. The undercard was stacked well with the Charlo brothers facing B-level opponents in Austin Trout and John Jackson. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: If former two division world champion Ricky Burns (39-5-1, 13 KOs) can beat #1 WBA Michele Di Rocco (40-1-1, 18 KOs) this Saturday night for the vacant WBA 140lb title, he’d like to face former four-division world champion Adrien “The Problem” Broner in a fight that would likely see Burns get a career high payday.
Burns and the 34-year-old Di Rocco will do battle at the SSE Hydro Arena, Glasgow. Burns, 33, is considered the favorite to win the fight in the eyes of many boxing fans, and it’s hard to argue with that when you look at Di Rocco’s resume of fights.
It’s completely barren of talented opposition, and it makes you wonder what was going through the minds of the World Boxing Association when they sat down to make the Italian Di Rocco their number one contender in the division. Read the rest of this entry »
By Sishaq: Having since returned from the Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and Amir ‘King’ Khan mega-fight and watched the replay on TV the following are a few observations. First, congratulations to Canelo on a sensational KO victory. He not only did what was expected of him but he showed improvements in his boxing skills. I was pleasantly surprised at his agility and the robust use of angles. I was equally impressed with his game plan of going exclusively to the body round after round after round just to setup an out-of-rhythm head shot.
With all of that said, however, there is one issue that needs to be highlighted. As the A-side of the fight Canelo absolutely had every right to dictate terms, such as making the title fight at the Canelo- catch weight of 155 lbs., instead of the full middleweight 160 lbs. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Trainer Freddie Roach says he’s waiting to see what happens with former eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao to see if he’ll come back to the sport for one more fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. to that he can avenge his loss to him. According to Roach, Mayweather has twice come to his gym recently without saying about a rematch against Pacquiao.
Roach thinks it’s sort of unusual that Mayweather is turning up his Wildcard Gym in Los Angeles, California after all this time. Roach would like more than anything to have Mayweather fight Pacquiao a second time because he believes a healthy Pacquiao would have a good chance of beating him. Read the rest of this entry »
By Patrick McHugh: The World Boxing Council came out with a statement on Wednesday, saying that they’re still investigating the positive drug test from #1 WBC mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin (30-1, 22 KOs), and that they will be making a ruling on his situation in the future.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman says Deontay is free to take a voluntary defense of his title while he waits for the ruling from the WBC on Povetkin. Wilder has already taken three voluntary defenses since beating former WBC champion Bermane Stiverne last year in January by a 12 round decision. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: #6 WBC Tony Bellew (26-2-1, 16 KOs) is arguably getting a title shot this Sunday night that he doesn’t deserve against the talented and higher ranked #1 WBC Ilunga Makabu (19-1, 18 KOs) for the vacant WBC cruiserweight title at Goodison Park in Liverpool, UK.
While the 33-year-old Bellew is seen as an underdog in the eyes of a lot of fans, his promoter Eddie Hearn sees the Bellew-Makabu fight as a 50-50 affair. Hearn gives Bellew a decent chance of winning the contest. Bellew doesn’t have the experience of fighting guys like Makabu at the cruiserweight level unfortunately.
The closest thing Bellew has come to fighting a talent like Makabu was facing bottom fringe contender Mateusz Masternak last December. Bellew almost lost the fight. It was pretty sad to watch, because I had the fight even going into the 12th round. Read the rest of this entry »