Boxing News - Latest Headlines


title Joshua has until January 9 to face Joseph Parker

joshua841233

By Scott Gilfoid: IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (17-0, 17 KOs) has less than five months to make his final voluntary defense before needing to negotiate a fight against his IBF mandatory challenger 24-year-old Joseph Parker (19-0, 16 KOs). Joshua’s defense against Parker is due by January 9, 2017. If he doesn’t defend it against him by that point, then he’ll likely be stripped of his title by the International Boxing Federation. Parker is going to be a tough out for Joshua, because unlike many of the opponents that the British heavyweight has been matched against since he turned pro, Parker will fight back. He’s not just going to stand there like a human punching bag with arms for 12 rounds hoping that Joshua gets tired at some point of throwing punches.

Joshua destroyed #13 IBF Dominic Breazeale (17-1, 15 KOs) by a 7th round knockout last Saturday night in Joshua’s first optional defense of his title at the O2 Arena in London, England. Breazeale was chosen by Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn in part due to him being unbeaten, a 2012 U.S Olympian, and because Joshua recently signed a multi-fight contract with U.S cable network Showtime. Read the rest of this entry »



title Canelo to fight on December 10 on regular HBO

By Dan Ambrose: Besides his fight on September 17th against WBO light middleweight champion Liam Smith (23-0-1, 13 KOs), former WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) plans on making a quick return on December 10 on regular HBO against an opponent still to be determined, according to Dan Rafael.

The fact that Canelo’s promoters at Golden Boy are looking to bring him back so quickly after the Liam Smith fight tells you that they see him beating the British fighter with ease. Three months is not a lot of time for a fighter to come back from fighting in a world title match against a champion. However in this case, Canelo is facing what many see as the weakest of the champions at 154 in Smith. Read the rest of this entry »



title Mikey Garcia wants Terry Flanagan

mikey

By Scott Gilfoid: Unbeaten former two division world champion Mikey Garcia (34-0, 28 KOs) hasn’t fought in two years, but he’s already targeting WBO lightweight champion Terry Flanagan (30-0, 12 KOs) to go after his scalp and take his WBO title from him before moving up to light welterweight. Garcia, 28, isn’t ranked in the top 15 by the World Boxing Organization at the moment, which could make it kind of tough on him to get a crack at Flanagan’s title unless a fight can be worked out between them anyway.

Garcia will be fighting next month against Elio Rojas (24-2, 14 KOs) on July 30 on the undercard of the Leo Santa Cruz vs. Carl Frampton card at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. That should be a very wasy fight for Garcia, as Rojas is not a major talent in the sport. Read the rest of this entry »



title Pacquiao’s adviser says Crawford not in consideration for fight

pac3366

By Chris Williams: If former eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao does come out of retirement this year to resume his boxing career, it looks like it won’t be to fight the Top Rank promoted Terence Crawford. Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz says that Crawford isn’t under consideration as an opponent for him and never has been.

This news isn’t likely going to make Pacquiao’s 84-year-old promoter Bob Arum a happy, because Crawford could become a star if he’s able to fight Pacquiao and take his scalp. It doesn’t matter that Pacquiao is 37 now, and was recently soundly beaten by Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year in May in the ‘Fight of the Century.’ If Crawford can be seen beating Paquiao, it might turn him into a PPV star. Read the rest of this entry »



title Sergio Martinez: Canelo will NEVER fight Golovkin

Sergio Martinez

By Dan Ambrose: Former two division world champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (51-3-2, 28 KOs) doubts that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (47-1-1, 33 KOs) will ever fight IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) in a mega-fight. Martinez thinks that Canelo’s promoters at Golden Boy will never let that fight take place because they want to look out for the best interests for him.

Obviously, Golden Boy wants to also look out for their own best interests, and clearly it’s better for them if Canelo doesn’t get knocked out by Golovkin. Canelo can make good money fighting guys that are sure thing wins like Amir Khan and Liam Smith. Read the rest of this entry »



title Chris Eubank Jr must distance himself from his father

eubank9144

By Rishad Marquardt: In the last few months, the momentum of Chris Eubank Jr’s ascent into the upper tier of the middleweight division has become ever more evident from his increased media exposure and increased airtime on big fight undercards. The Blackwell fight, and its momentarily gruesome aftermath, further underlined Eubank Jr’s emboldening presence in the British and, to a certain extent, international boxing scene.

While some may argue this is largely down to him sharing the Eubank name with his father, a figure with a thrilling career himself in the fight game, it would be grossly unfair to deny Eubank Jr of the credit he deserves for his endeavors in the ring up to this point. Read the rest of this entry »



title Price needs two more fights before Joshua, says trainer

price1

By Scott Gilfoid: #11 WBO heavyweight contender David Price (20-3, 17 KOs) could be two fights away from getting a world title shot against unbeaten IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, according to Price’s trainer Dave Coldwell. Price, 32, took an easy fight in his last bout in stopping little known Vaclav Pejsar in the 2nd round last May on the undercard of the Tony Bellew vs. Ilunga Makabu card in Liverpool, UK.

That was Price’s first fight in a year. He looked slow and at least 20 pounds overweight. Price plans on stepping it up against a better fighter in his next fight. That might not be a good idea because he was getting nailed by Pejsar, and wound up marked up a little around the face. If a mediocre fighter like Pejsar was able to nail Price with shots, then you have to figure that a better fighter will be able to do a lot more. Read the rest of this entry »



title How will Keith Thurman pair-up against Pacquiao or Mayweather?

thurman86r

By Jaime Ortega: Keith Thurman after convincingly out-pointing Shawn Porter with accurate counter-shots, has come under criticism from a certain faction of the boxing scene who accuse the Floridian for setting a poor performance in the ring, thus exposing his real flaws.

To start, I would like to point that Shawn has the highest pressure ratio of any boxer in the game. He is very athletic and has decent boxing ability that includes a good chin. No fighter today, would be able to knockout Shawn or calm the tempest he brings in the ring. His style of fight, does not allow for high IQ boxers to think and forces them to run and hide behind the ropes. If you fight Shawn, is the equivalent of Marcos Maidana in Super-Saiyan version. Read the rest of this entry »



title Arum: I believe Pacquiao wants to return

pac555

By Chris Williams: The 37-year-old Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) wants to return to the sport of boxing, says his trainer Bob Arum of Top Rank. In a bold move, Arum has already booked the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada on October 15 for Pacquiao in case he chooses to come out of retirement. This would be a PPV fight like all of Pacquiao’s other fights in the last eight years of his career.

Pacquiao retired earlier this year after his third fight against Tim Bradley. That wasn’t a fight that was in demand from the sport, and Arum clearly blew it by choosing to match Pacquiao and Bradley again rather than bringing in new blood for Pacquiao to fight. Pacquiao is now working as a senator in the Philippines, and the job is said to be a difficult one that requires a great deal of time on a daily basis. Read the rest of this entry »



title Froch says he offered Golovkin fight last year at 172

froch876

By Scott Gilfoid: Former super middleweight champion Carl Froch claims he offered a catch-weight fight against middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin at 172 pound last year, but the Kazakhstan fighter didn’t want the match due to Froch’s size and power. If there was an actual for a fight by Froch, he was a tad late, because Golovkin wanted to fight him in 2013. Instead of Froch taking the fight, he retired from the sport.

If Froch did try and face Golovkin last year at light heavyweight, it was probably too late and the wrong weight class. I mean, I could see Golovkin moving up one division to fight Froch, but definitely not two divisions. There are limits of what Golovkin will put up with in order to get a fight. It would have been a gamble for Golovkin if he’d taken the fight with Froch. I’m not talking about a game of Golovkin losing. I’m talking about a gamble of the fight potentially not doing well because of Froch having been out of the sport for so long. Read the rest of this entry »



Follow

Search
Link To Us
please use above banner to link back to us!
Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Social
Privacy Statement l Back to top of page l Cookies Policy