By Jeff Aranow: IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook has every reason in the world to want Amir Khan to lose his fight this Saturday night against WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez due to Khan having turned down fight offers from him and his promoter Eddie Hearn for the last several years including recently.
Brook still is open enough to say he thinks the 29-year-old Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) has a chance of pulling off an upset against Canelo (46-1-1, 32 KOs) if he fights the perfect fight and doesn’t get caught up trying to slug with the Mexican fighter. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) is fighting in the biggest match of his 11-year pro career on Saturday night against the bigger and stronger WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) in a catch-weight of 155lbs.
Khan’s trainer Virgil Hunter sees this fight as a dangerous one for Khan due to the size and punching power that Canelo has. While Khan and Canelo have both looked around the same size in the lead up to this fight, Canelo is going to transform himself like a magician on Saturday night and come into the fight looking like a light heavyweight in the ring by rehydrating to the 170s and possibly the 180s. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman says he will enforce the agreement between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and interim WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin to strip Canelo of the WBC middleweight title if he or Amir Khan fails to fight GGG next.
Canelo and Golovkin have an agreement with the World Boxing Council that the winner of their next interim fights must then face each other next. Golovkin did of the agreement by beating Dominic Wade last month. Now it’s Canelo’s turn with his interim fight against Khan on Saturday night in Las Vegas, Nevada. Read the rest of this entry »
By Jeff Aranow: Stephen Espinoza, the vice president of Sports with Showtime, seriously doubts Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be coming out of retirement to resume his boxing career. Mayweather told Showtime’s Jim Gray last Saturday that he’s not ruling out a comeback in the future, albeit if he can receive a nine-figure payday in the process.
Espinoza says they ask Mayweather all the time if he’s interested in returning to the sport, but thus far he’s not saying he will. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Former IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux (34-3, 31 KOs) believes IBF/IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) is a very hard puncher, but not the hardest puncher in the 160lb division. Lemieux disagrees with former world title challenger Curtis Stevens (27-5, 20 KOs), who said this week that he doesn’t think Golovkin is a hard puncher at all.
Stevens sparred with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez to help him get ready for his fight last November against Miguel Cotto, and he came away impressed with Canelo’s power more so than Golovkin. However, Stevenson was stopped by Golovkin in the 8th round in their fight in November 2013, so that tells you that Golovkin hits hard enough to make Stevens quit. Read the rest of this entry »
(Photo Credit: Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions) By Dan Ambrose: Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) believes Floyd Mayweather Jr. (49-0, 26 KOs) won’t be able to resist coming out of retirement to fight him if he beats WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) on Saturday night in their fight on HBO PPV.
Besides Mayweather, Khan says a fight against IBF/IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) is also an option for him. Khan will sit down with his people and make a decision about whether to take the Golovkin fight. However, Khan says his own health is important to him, so he might not fight Golovkin and instead move back down to welterweight to fight WBC champion Danny Garcia for his title. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: WBA lightweight champion Anthony Crolla (30-4-3, 12 KOs) and the talented unbeaten challenger Ismael Barroso (19-0-2, 18 KOs) met for their final press conference today for their fight this Saturday night at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, UK.
Barroso made it clear during the press conference that he’s tired of all this back and forth talking, and just wants to go out there and do the job on the 29-year-old Crolla and go home with his WBA title.
The Venezuelan born Barroso believes he’s the best fighter in the lightweight division and he’s ready to erase Crolla as the WBA champion as he would any other contender or champion in division. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Bernard Hopkins of Golden Boy Promotions says IBF/IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin should give Golden Boy promoter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez whatever catch-weight handicap he asks for in order for them to face each other.
Canelo maintains he’s a junior middleweight rather than a middleweight, and he feels he should be able to get a weight handicap for a fight against Golovkin. Hopkins came down in weight to fight the more popular Oscar De La Hoya at a 158lb catch-weight in September 2004. De La Hoya had just recently moved up to middleweight at the time three months earlier in beating WBO middleweight champion Felix Sturm by a controversial 12 round decision in June 2004. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Trainer Virgil Hunter thinks Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) has enough size and power to hurt WBC middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) in their fight this Saturday night. There’s a belief by some fans and writers that Canelo won’t be bothered by Khan’s punches because he’s moving up in weight from the welterweight division and isn’t a true middleweight like the 170+ pound Canelo.
Miguel Cotto wasn’t able to hurt Canenlo with his punches last November and Cotto is a much bigger puncher than Khan. Canelo was able to absorb the shots from the smaller Cotto without showing any signs of being bothered by the shots. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Former WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward (29-0, 15 KOs) will be fighting on July 9 or 16h in a tune-up fight to get him ready for his important title shot against Sergey Kovalev in November. Ward’s fight in July will be in his hometown of Oakland at the Oracle Arena, according to Dan Rafael. This is the 32-year-old Ward’s interim fight.
Ward’s promoters at Roc Nation Sports attempted to get #7 WBC Vyacheslav Shabranskyy (16-0, 13 KOs) for him to fight, but the money wasn’t right so the fight didn’t get made. If Ward can’t get an opponent for him to fight in July, then he might need to wait for the Kovalev fight in November on HBO PPV. That’s bad for Ward obviously and very good for Kovalev, because it would mean even rustier Ward than he already is. Read the rest of this entry »