By Dan Ambrose: If former IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux gets past his fight against little known Cristian Fabian Rios this Saturday night on October 22, he could be facing superstar Saul Canelo Alvarez in the first quarter of 2017, according to Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez. He has two scenarios for the 27-year-old Lemieux (35-3, 32 KOs), one of the scenarios is Lemieux fighting WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (23-0, 12 KOs) for his WBO belt.
Gomez also likes the idea of matching Lemieux against Golden Boy’s flagship fighter Canelo. The odds of Lemieux fighting Saunders for his WBO title are extremely low. Saunders wants to fight Canelo or Golovkin. He’s probably not going to be agreeable at all in a fight against a dangerous puncher like Lemieux, even though he might have enough boxing skills to beat him. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: The World Boxing Organization has reportedly ordered Joseph Parker (21-0, 18 KOs) vs. Andy Ruiz Jr. (29-0, 19 KOs) fight at their WBO convention in San Juan. The two fighters will fight for the vacant WBO heavyweight title that was recently vacated by champion Tyson Fury.
The winner of the Parker-Ruiz fight would then be required to fight has four months [120 days] to face #4 WBO contender David Haye (28-2, 26 KOs). If Haye chooses not to take the winner of the Parker vs. Ruiz fight, then it would be the next ranked contender in the WBO’s rankings. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) has officially vacated his December 10th date on HBO, according to Dan Rafael. Unbeaten WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Terence “Bud” Crawford (29-0, 20 KOs) will be taking the December 10 date on HBO in a fight against an opponent still to be determined.
Crawford’s promoter Bob Arum has confirmed that he’ll be taking the date, and he’ll be fighting in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: Unbeaten light heavyweight contender Andre Ward says he’s NEVER going to fight unbeaten middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin, because he had his chance he failed to take it. Ward is fighting in the 175lb division now, and he says he’s NOT going to move back down in weight at this point. In other words, if there’s ever to be a fight between them, it would need to be at light heavyweight if GGG decided to move up two weigh classes to make it happen.
Considering that Golovkin is no bigger than some of the fighters in the 147lb division like Errol Spence Jr., it doesn’t make a lot of sense for Golovkin up two weight classes to fight someone who would have a tremendous weight advantage over him like Andre. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: The World Boxing Association is expected to make their decision today whether to sanction the December 10 fight between IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko. Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn is bellyaching something fierce about the rumors of the 40-year-old Wladimir facing Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne on December 10 in Hamburg, Germany.
Hearn has been talking about Wladimir taking on a “soft touch” instead of facing the 27-year-old Joshua. However, Wladimir appears to be making sure that he has a good Plan-B opponent in case the WBA chooses not to sanction the fight, which is clearly a very smart thing for the talented Ukrainian to do. Read the rest of this entry »
By Rob Blakeman: Ricky Hatton was the greatest best piece of luck his trainer Billy Graham ever had, let’s be honest. Hatton had a natural aggression and a certain amount of athleticism and in all probability would have done well with any trainer. But I wonder how good he might have been if he had been with someone who taught the basic fundamentals of boxing from the start?
By the time I was brought in as conditioning coach for Hatton in late 2000 he already had some very bad habits which his trainer not only indulged but practically encouraged-and they weren’t only in boxing technique. Graham would give Hatton days off training when he was hung over-heck, they even got drunk together sometimes! Hatton at this embryonic point in his career really needed a firm figure of discipline in his life-not an enabler.
Maybe even worse than this was the lack of progressive and fundamental boxing training. I remember going to the Manchester England gym with my then training partner Richie Woodhall, to watch Hatton train. Read the rest of this entry »
By Earl E: Lots of criticism has been thrown at Danny “The Swift” Garcia (32-0, 18 Kos) in his fight with not known contender Samuel Vargas (25-2-1, 13 Kos), because many boxing fans demand boxers should always engage in tough competitive fights in and every match.
As a boxing fan, I accept this idea, but as an individual that is pro-labor I disagree. If the boxer was to engage in a hard fight for every match, then how long will his career last? More importantly, how will his health be after retirement? Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: The good news for IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn is they won’t have to wait too much longer to fight out if the World Boxing Association will sanction their fight against Wladimir Klitschko for their fight on December 10 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England. WBA president Gilberto Mendez Jr. says the WBA committee has a deadline of Wednesday to make a decision.
Mendoza said to ESPN.com this about whether the WBA will sanction the Klitschko vs. Joshua fight this week: Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Former four division world champion Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) has decided to stay outside of the ring for the remainder of 2016 so that he can test up for 2016, according to ESPN. Cotto will be turning 36-years-old on October 29, and he hasn’t fought at all in 2016 since his 12 round decision loss to Saul Canelo Alvarez last November in 2015.
When Cotto does return to the ring in 2017, he could be facing the likes of Lamont Peterson or Tim Bradley (33-2-1, 13 KOs). Both of them are aging welterweights, who haven’t been active lately. Bradley fought only once in 2016 in losing to Manny Pacquiao last April. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn says IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (17-0, 17 KOs) will be fighting on December 10 with or without Wladimir Klitschko at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England. Hearn hopes Wladimir will take the fight against the 27-year-old Joshua instead of facing a “soft touch” in Germany.
Wladimir could be facing Lucas Browne on December 10 in Germany. Browne is a step up from the guys that Joshua has been fighting in his last three fights against Dominic Breazeale, Charles Martin and Dillian Whyte. Read the rest of this entry »