Thompson Boxing inks Cesar Villarraga

ORANGE, CA (July 18, 2013) – Thompson Boxing Promotions today signed Cesar Villarraga, a lightweight prospect out of Bogota, Colombia, to a promotional contract. Thompson Boxing Promotions and Gary Shaw Productions will share promotional responsibilities for the 27-year-old boxer.

“I am extremely happy to sign with Thompson Boxing and GSP,” said Villarraga. “Ken Thompson, Gary Shaw and Alex Camponovo have provided an amazing level of support. I am anxious to start my professional career and I can’t wait to start training for my first professional fight.”

Villarraga hopes to follow in the footsteps of fellow countryman and Thompson Boxing Promotions client, Jhonatan Romero (23-0, 12 KOs), who recently captured the IBF junior featherweight title earlier this year. “Jhonatan set the bar high and that is how it is supposed to be,” said Villarraga. “I have high aspirations. I want to be the first would champion from Bogota and the best to come from Colombia.”

“Cesar has an exciting style to his game,” said Ken Thompson, president and founder of Thompson Boxing Promotions. “He is a quick hitter that does not like to stand around and dance. He has great speed and a high boxing IQ that will serve him well as he climbs the ranks of the lightweight division.”

“We are very happy to continue working with Colombian boxers,” said Alex Camponovo, general manager of Thompson Boxing. “We have an elite team from the South American country that has proven itself over time and now Cesar, under the watchful eye of his manager/trainer Danny Zamora and our guidance, has the opportunity to reach his goals.”

Villarraga starred for Colombia at the 2010 South American Games going through Hector Manzanilla (Venezuela) and Erick Banguera (Ecuador) to advance to the gold medal match against Everton Lopes of Brazil. Villarraga would bring home the gold in the 57kg event and would later qualify for the 2012 London Olympics. In London, Villarraga would lose early to Cuba’s Roniel Iglesias. Rather than sulk in defeat, Villarraga turned the loss into a learning experience.

“The London games made me even more dedicated to the sport,” said, Villarraga, who started boxing at age 15, a late start partly attributed to his early love of soccer. “Mentally I now know how to handle situations more efficiently. I have learned to value every movement, any shuffle of the feet and every punch has its purpose.”

Villarraga had an amateur record of 250 wins against 30 loses. He is married and has two boys. The youngest is a new born at 10-months and the other is five-years-old.

Melson to battle Thompson in Rematch August 14!

New York, NY (July 18, 2013) – Junior middleweight and charitable figure Captain Boyd “Rainmaker” Melson of New York City gets a crack at redemption when he faces Brooklyn, NY’s Jason Thompson in an eight round featured bout Wednesday, August 14 at BB King Blues Club in New York City.

On October 20, 2012, Melson and Thompson fought in the first bout ever at the brand new Barclays Center. In the opening round, Melson suffered a flash knockdown but rebounded well and mostly outboxed his foe. Most ringsiders believed Melson would walk away with a decision, but all three judges scored the bout 56-56 even.

Since their first bout, each fought once, with Melson, 11-1-1 (4 KO’s), dominating veteran Edgar Perez and Thompson, 5-6-3 (4 KO’s), fighting to a draw against highly regarded Frank Galarza. With the battle of the boroughs set for round two, Melson doesn’t want there to be any questions as to who the victor is this time around.

“Regardless of how I feel I performed or what I and others believe the outcome of the first fight should have been, it was ruled a draw” said Melson, who helped raised more than $70,000 profit during Team Fight to Walk’s first fundraiser May 16 at BB King. “He’s a tough fighter and has faced good opposition but he’s been stopped in a few of his losses. On August 14th, I will be special. I will look different in the ring. If you are asking what that means, then you will have to be there to see. It’s about time I stop someone again!”

Tickets starting at $50 are available on Teamfighttowalk.com. Following the bout, Melson will once again donate his entire fight purse to Justadollarplease.org in support of bringing trials to the United States that could help cure chronic Spinal Cord Injuries. It was recently released in the nation-wide media that this clinical trial we are raising funds for to bring here to the U.S. has resulted in 15 out of 20 patients walking enrolled in the study in China who were paralyzed an average of 7 years. Unfortunately, there still is not enough money to carry the trial out in the US.

Iraq War veteran Chris Traietti making up for lost boxing time

BOSTON (July 18, 2013) — His up-and-down boxing journey has come nearly 360-degrees for Iraq War veteran Chris Traietti, the headliner on the July 27th “The Roxy Homecoming Celebration” card (special starting time of 5 p.m. ET), at The Royale Nightclub Boston (formerly The Roxy) in downtown Boston.

Traietti (13-3, 9 KOs), fighting out of nearby Quincy (MA), takes on Kansas City-invader Dion Stanley (11-5, 7 KOs) in the eight-round main event. The card is being presented by Big Six Entertainment in association with Cappiello Promotions.

The 27-year-old Traietti is a real fighter. In addition to boxing, he has a 3-1 record in mixed martial arts, and fought in a recent bare knuckles contest. He’s also promoting several local shows and has boxing manager license.

Traietti started boxing professionally in 2005, the same year his U.S. Air Force Reserve unit was deployed to Iraq, and he was also a psychology major at Westfield State College. Now a contract armed guard for Homeland Security at the Federal Building in downtown Boston, Traieitti has vowed to make-up for time he admittedly wasted earlier in his boxing career.

“Boxing was good to me but I wasn’t good to boxing,” the brutally honest boxer explained. “When I was in my early twenties, I had fights (7th & 8th) at Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods. I had it made but didn’t care at the time. I thought I’d always be fighting at places like that. I was too busy partying and chasing girls. I’m all in, now, and dedicated to training without any distractions. I didn’t want to look back and wonder what if, so I went back to my roots. I’m working with my original trainer, Jimmy Farrell, and we decided to make a run at it or I’m all done.

“I had my first fight back with Jimmy this past March and we’ve gradually stepped things up a little in two other fights, to where I’m fighting an 11-5 opponent (Stanley) in this fight. I still bring a good crew who’ve always supported by watching me fight and, honestly, they really shouldn’t be there anymore for me. I didn’t give them their money’s worth in the past because I didn’t train seriously. They’re still coming to my fights and I owe this much to them. How long things lasted without me really training was amazing. I still need to get back to 175. (His fight vs. Stanley is contracted at 185 lbs.) I’ll do that gradually with another fight scheduled in late August at 185, then I’ll fight at 180, and if everything goes right, back at 175.

“Now, I think about what I’d do for a fight when I was 22, and do the opposite. I’m 27 and I work at the gym. I’ve had enough ups and downs in my boxing career; it’s time for me to be steady and ready. I’m going to breakdown my opponent and then get rid of him. This fight isn’t going the distance because boxing fans want to see knockouts.”

Two of New England’s most decorated amateur boxers of the past decade, Ronald “Akeem” Ellis (6-0, 5 KOs) and “Speedy” Rashidi Ellis, from nearby Lynn (MA), have returned home to fight as professional boxers for the first time.

Ronald, 23, is an undefeated super middleweight prospect who captured a gold medal at the 2012 National Golden Gloves Tournament. He trains in Oxnard, California, with former world champion and 2012 Trainer of the Year, Robert Garcia.

Ronald’s younger brother, 20-year-old welterweight Rashidi, was the 2012 National PAL (Police Athletic League) champion, who is trained by Alex Rivera from the Somerville Boxing Club.

Ronald and Rashidi are scheduled to fight in six and four rounds fights, respectively, against TBA and pro-debuting Joe Pingitore, of Providence.

Unbeaten Boston welterweight Gabriel Duluc (8-0, 1 KO) meets another unbeaten prospect, Jonathan Perez (4-0, 2 KOs), in a six-round fight.

Also scheduled to fight on the undercard in four-round matches: Somerville (MA) super middleweight Jimmy Cappiello (4-3, 1 KO) vs. Pubilo Pena (0-1), of Providence; popular Irish middleweight John “Buncrana Banger” Hutchinson (3-0-1, 1 KO), now fighting out of Boston, vs. Robert Hunt (0-3), of Hyannis (MA); Stoughton (MA) light heavyweight Michael Weisberg (3-0, 2 KOs) vs. Joe Powers (0-1), of Groton (CT); Boston welterweight Greg “The Villain” Vendetti (3-0, 2 KOs) vs. Jose Angel Ortiz (4-12-1, 1 KO), of Springfield (MA); pro-debuting middleweights Matt Phinney, of Boston,vs. South Dennis’ (MA) Peter Eldridge, and Jose Rodriguez, of Springfield,makes his pro debut vs. TBA.

All fighters are subject to change.

Tickets, reasonably priced at $40.00, $50.00 and $75.00, and are available to purchase by calling 1.617.312.5059.

Doors open at 4:00 p.m. ET with the first bout scheduled for 5:00 p.m. ET.


Connect
Google+ Button Facebook Button Twitter Button

Search


Ads by Yahoo
Connect
Privacy Statement *** Advertise with us!