Flores vs. Vargas on Saturday, January 26th in Oklahoma City; Pfeifer
January 24, 2013 – Puerto Rican power puncher, Javier “El Chino” Flores (8-0, 7 KOs) is returning to the ring this Saturday, January 26 at Remington Park Casino in Oklahoma City.
Standing across the ring from Flores will be Mexican, Joel “Pirata” Vargas (4-8, 4 KOs), who has been in the ring with many undefeated fighters that include Mikael Zewski (18-0, 14 KOs) and Michael Finney (9-0, 7 KOs), among others.
Flores vs. Vargas is scheduled for six rounds and in the welterweight division (147 lbs).
“We are ready to box, and at the same time to put pressure to convincingly stop Vargas,” said Flores. “My trainer John Scully has worked on my strength, speed and technique, so I’m ready to put on a great show for the fans in attendance.”
Flores’ last fight was on October 27 in New York, where he defeated tough Mexican Alberto Herrera (8-8-1, 5 KOs) by majority decision.
As an amateur boxer, Flores compiled an impressive record of 65 knockout victories, of which 32 came by way of knockout, with only 3 defeats.
The explosive southpaw is promoted by Gary Shaw Productions. For more information on Javier Flores please visit www.garyshawproductions.com.
Erik Pfeifer puts pen to paper with APB
Lausanne, Switzerland, 24 January 2013 – AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) is pleased to announce that it has added to its already impressive roster of boxers the 2011 AIBA World Boxing Championships bronze medallist Erik Pfeifer from Germany. The 26-year-old Heavyweight (+91kg) has put pen to paper to take part in the competition’s World Level.
One of the stars of the World Series of Boxing (WSB) third campaign with his team German Eagles, the tactically astute Pfeifer has lit up the tournament with three wins in his three outings so far and has excelled in the pro style of boxing. Clever and powerful, his economical but precise shot-making skills have delighted crowds each time he has taken to the ring.
His addition to the APB ranks will help boost the profile of the competition even further with Germany one of the hubs of the boxing world. The capture of Pfeifer is a real message of intent, with the orthodox fighter one of the shining lights of WSB.
AIBA will launch APB in the fall of 2013, a fully professional competition that will still allow boxers to compete at the Olympic Games. APB will revolutionize the world of boxing and establish a blueprint for its development. With a clear and transparent competition structure based only on their performance and a secured plan of career, APB is the best proposal that boxers could expect.
Egan Sets Sights On Title
By Daniel Mole: Dave Egan has set his sights on a title by the end of the year after 2013 started with a bang for the Cannock light welterweight. The 29 year-old secured a first knock-out, and fourth straight victory, with a stunning one round demolition of Ricky Stock last Friday.
Fighting on the undercard of Frankie Gavin’s successful British welterweight defence against Jason Welborn at Walsall Town Hall, Egan needed just 93 seconds to blow his opponent away.
“I’m really pleased with how things are going and just want to progress,” he told www.uko-boxing.com. “”Hopefully I’ll get six or seven fights in this calendar year, that’s the plan, and, towards the end of this year, winter time, and go for a Masters Title maybe or a Midlands Area Title.
“I’m obviously not at the level of a Frankie Gavin where they can just jump straight into the British picture, skipping half of the levels. Any kind of title would be awesome for me – Masters or Midlands would be great – and then you can build on that.
“That’s exactly what Jason Welborn, who put up a great show against Frankie, has done – he won the Midlands title, defended it and then he got a shot at the British title.”
Egan’s performance was eye catching. The speed and ferocity he showed to get his opponent out so quickly will have raised a few eyebrows. However, he had mixed emotions after sending a fellow sportsman to the canvas with such a brutal shot.
“The knockout was a great feeling but horrible at the same time,” he added. “I’d spoken to Ricky before the fight and he came across as a really nice chap.
“Then I knock him out, and it was a proper knockout, he was gone on the floor, that wasn’t the nicest feeling. As soon as you know he’s all right, it’s ok though. All your mates are cheering, so it is such a buzz.”
José Pedraza vs. Alejandro Rodriguez on Saturday, February 23rd in Ponce, Puerto Rico
January 24, 2013 – On Saturday, February 23, Universal Promotions will be presenting their first 2013 boxing card at the Auditorium Juan “Pachin” Vicens in Ponce, Puerto Rico, which will feature three championship fights.
In the main event, undefeated rising star, Jose “Sniper” Pedraza (11-0, 7 KOs) will be defending his WBC Youth super featherweight title, against Mexico’s, Alejandro Rodriguez (18-8, 10 KOs) in a bout set for ten rounds.
“We are excited because this will be a great card with lots of competitive fights,” said Javier Bustillo, president of Universal Promotions. “Pedraza debuted in Ponce with a Knockout victory in the first round, and the fans in Ponce were asking to watch him again.”
“I cannot wait to defend my title. I went four months without a fight, so I’m hungry for a huge victory in Ponce. We are preparing very well, and the fans can expect a great show from me in an event full of great fights,” said José Pedraza, who is promoted by, Gary Shaw Productions, Universal Promotions, and DiBella Entertainment.
Pedraza’s last fight was in October, were he defeated Tevin Farmer by TKO in the 8th round, (7-4-1, 1 KOs) in a Showtime main event held in Missouri.
During his spectacular amateur career, Pedraza built up an impressive record of 160 wins and 16 losses. He won a silver medal in the World Championships in Italy, and captured gold medals in the Central American Caribbean Games in Mayaguez, PR, the Copa Romana in Dominican Republic, and in the qualification tournament in Guatemala for the 2008 Beijing Olympics in China, among others.
Rodriguez holds victories over former undefeated prospects, Carlo Jhean Aparicio (13-0, 10 KOs) and Daniel Evangelista Jr. (11-0-1, 9 KOs). In addition, Rodríguez has gone the distance against Rances Barthelemy, Abner Cotto, Eloy Perez, John Molina and Mickey Bey Jr., among others.
In the co-feature bout, former world title contender, Mario “El Principe” Santiago (22-3-1, 14 KO’s) will face tough Dominican, Marcos “El Tigre” Jimenez (18-4, 12 KOs) for the WBA Fedecentro super featherweight title (130lbs) scheduled for 10-rounds.
Former world champion, and reigning WBA Fedecaribe middleweight champion, Manuel “Manny” Siaca (24-7, 20 KOs) will defend his title against American, Gundrick King (18-9, 11 KOs) in a bout scheduled for 10 rounds.
Also in action: Fernando Torres (18-2-1, 10 KO’s), Edgardo “Eggie” Laboy (5-0, 2 KOs), Carlos “Kid” Narvaez (5-0, 5 KO’), Miguel “El Gallo” Marrero (7-0, 4 KOs), Edwin Rodriguez (2-0, 2 KOs), Reggie Santiago (1-1, 1 KOs), among others. The first fight will start at 7:30 pm.