Pacquiao-Marquez 4 picked as Fight of the Year for 2012
By Chris Williams: Both ESPN and RingTV have selected the Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez 4 as “Fight of the Year” for 2012. The reason the reason this fight was picked is fairly obvious because of the back and forth nature of the fight, including the way that Marquez came back in the 6th to KO Pacquiao when things were starting to look a little bleak for Marquez.
Besides the great highlight reel knockout that Marquez recorded in the 6th in knocking Pacquiao out with a right hand, there was the sudden 3rd round knockdown where Marquez blasted the Filipino to the canvas with a big looping right hand to the head. Up until then, Pacquiao had been mostly dominating the action in the 1st and 2nd rounds, and the start of the 3rd.
That knockdown got Marquez back into the fight. However, Pacquiao came on strong on the 5th round and was able to put Marquez down by stepping on his left foot while nailing him with a left hand at the same time. Pacquiao flurried on Marquez after the knockdown and bloodied his nose. Pacquiao continued to mostly have his way in the 6th until Marquez caught him with another big right hand to get the knockout in the last seconds of the 6th.
The ending of the fight was what made it so interesting because few boxing fans expected that Marquez was going to KO Pacquiao the way he did, because it’s been ages since Pacquiao has been stopped in a fight and he looked like he was going strong at the time of the stoppage.
Other highly exciting fights for 2012 are as follows:
• Robert Guerrero’s 12 round unanimous decision win over Andre Berto
• Orlando Salidio’s 10th round knockout of Juan Manuel Lopez
• Brandon Rios’s 7th round TKO victory over Mike Alvarado
• Mike Alvarado’s 10 round unanimous decision win over Mauricio Herrera
• Brian Viloria’s 10th round TKO win over Hernan Marquez
• Marcos Maidana’s 8th round TKO victory over Jesus Soto-Karass
• Floyd Mayweather Jr’s 12 round unanimous decision win over Miguel Cotto